- The Venue
- Dublin, The City
- Local Team
What makes Dublin different? It’s not one thing, it’s a million different things. It’s all about the Dublin character and characters, the energy and vibrancy of Dublin as a world class business tourism destination for planners and delegates alike.
How to get there : Fly Aer Lingus to Dublin
What to Do in Dublin
P.K. suggests . . .
Chester Beatty Library
"home to one of the largest and finest collections of hand-illuminated Qur’ans in the world."
Described by the Lonely Planet Guide as not just the best museum in Ireland, but one of the best in Europe, the Chester Beatty Library, Dublin is an art museum and library which houses the great collection of manuscripts, miniature paintings, prints, drawings, rare books and some decorative arts assembled by Sir Alfred Chester Beatty (1875-1968). Its rich collections from countries across Asia, the Middle East, North Africa and Europe opens a window on the artistic treasures of the great cultures and religions of the world. Chester Beatty Library was named Irish Museum of the year in 2000 and was awarded the title European Museum of the Year in 2002.
"In its diversity, the collection captures much of the richness of human creative expression from about 2700 BC to the present day."
National Museum of Ireland
Archeology section, Kildare Street.
See the Broighter Hoard and other dazzling artefacts from the La Tene pre-christian Celtic culture and earlier.
"The National Museum of Ireland's collection of prehistoric goldwork, ranging in date between 2200 BC and 500 BC, is one of the largest and most important in western Europe. Most are pieces of jewellery but the precise function of some is unknown."
* We can recommend these two excellent centres for the visual arts:
Other suggestions . . .
* Irish Film Institute and Archive - www.irishfilm.ie
* National Photographic Archive - www.nli.ie
* Take the DART to Howth - www.irishrail.ie/howth - also see www.howthismagic.com
* Hire a bicycle in the Phoenix Park - www.phoenixparkbikehire.com
* Walk the skyline of Croke Park - www.skylinecrokepark.ie
* Go to a gig in Whelans - www.whelanslive.com
* Try a coffee made by the Irish barista champion or a pop up rum bar- www.bodytonicmusic.com
* Dublin Writers Museum - www.writersmuseum.com
* Try an event in the Workmans club - www.theworkmansclub.com
* Visit the Abbey Theatre - www.abbeytheatre.ie
(all links were correct as of 11 June 2013)