Influences of Religions Telecast in a Multi-religious India: An Analysis of Hindu and Muslim Television Viewers

TitleInfluences of Religions Telecast in a Multi-religious India: An Analysis of Hindu and Muslim Television Viewers
Publication TypeConference Paper
Author(s)Agrawal, B. C.
Affiliation (1st Author)TALEEM Research Foundation
Section or WGIslam and Media Working Group
DateSat 29 June
Slot CodeISLS1a
Slot Code (Keyword)ISLS1a
Time of Session9:00-10:30
RoomC123
Session TitleSocial Networks, Muslims and Identity
Submission ID4559
Abstract

The cultural contour of South Asia contains a legacy of the continuity of the Indian civilization, evolution of religious ideas and high degree of visual literacy. Time and space in the infinite universe has been perceived, examined and explained through philosophical perspective that provides moral dictums, vision and myth of human existence, its past, present and future. Barring some religions, over century old Indian cinema has improved visual literacy and added colourful extravaganza in which Gods and Goddesses manifested humanlike behaviour and character. Built on the foundation of cinema, digital media further added sophistication in representational adding means and methods to improve visual literacy. In 2012, there were over two dozen non-stop dedicated “Satellite Religious Television Channels” for Hindu, Jain, Sikh, Muslim and Christian viewers. The paper aimed among other things, to analyze possible influences of religious telecast of Hindu and Muslim viewers living in the urban multi-religion cultural setting. More specifically the survey aimed (a) to study changes in the religious behavior among Hindu and Muslim viewers, (b) to assess degree of religious tolerance expressed by Hindu and Muslim viewers towards other religions, and (c) to what extent these influences have been internalized by Hindu and Muslim viewers as a result of religious television viewing. Keeping the mind the objectives, a survey design was followed to conduct two independent the studies among Hindu and Muslim viewers in 2012. A stratified random sampling method was followed for the selection of 500 Hindi speaking DTH/Cable in the multi-religious viewers in Dehradun City, Uttarakhand, India. Out of 500 viewers, 89.6 percent or 448 were Hindu where as remaining 10.4 percent or 52 were Muslim. Similarly, 500 Hindi speaking Muslim viewers were selected from the cities of Dehradun, Lucknow, Varanasi and Srinagar. Analysis indicated that Hindu and Muslim religious television could not scratch even the surface of religious beliefs, values and ethics among Hindu and Muslim viewers.

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer